After many emails - yes, my sister is 200km far so we made the whole project remotely, after shopping in all fabric stores I could find in Rennes, here is the set of fabrics I proposed:
- black lace on silver satin for the bodice
- waist band in black satin decorated with ribbons
- 2 asymetric layers of fabric for the skirt: a dark silver fabric and black organza
- black taffeta for the petticoat
- and not shown on picture: sleeves made of black organza
This set was immediatly approved, so I could start searching for the right pattern. Of course, when you know exactly what you want, you can't find it. And I don't know how to draw a pattern from scratch [not yet]. But no problem. With a little inspiration, it is not really difficult to create a pattern from several existing patterns. Here are those I used for the project:
|Burda 7572 for the bodice and waist band|
|Burda 8058 for the asymetric skirt|
|Simplicity 3673 (black view), the skirt only as a petticoat|
It's the first time I use and alter so many patterns for one project, plus draw a size not provided by the original pattern. Well, actually, yes, I already have drawn extra-sizes, but not for a very fitted shape. But I have to say that the whole project is a "first times" project.
1st time I make a muslin:
I never needed it before. But with the distance, and all patterns and alterations to work with, I though it would be a good idea to make one. And it was ! After the muslin was made, I could send it to my sister, who tried it quietly at home. She just sent me back comments and pictures so that I could improve the pattern.
1st time I use 2 layers of fabric as one, one being lace:
I was so scared one layer moved or to see creases through the lace, so I basted the lace on satin until all bodice seams are done.
1st time I sew an invisible zipper which is really invisible:
I guess it could be better, but compared to my previous (and very first) invisible zipper which is finally a large visible stripe in the center back of a dress, this time I was so proud of the result that I couldn't believe I could make it better. Unfortunately, after the dress was finished I still had some little alterations to do, and I had to take the zipper off and sew it again. What a wonderfull surprise it is still invisible after this second time !
1st time I attach beads to ribbons:
I've already made some little decorating with beads for a bag, but the ribbon was only going through a ring. This time, I used some little clips to attach beads. I was scared that the clips slide, but they didn't.
And finally, here is the result: